The 500-hour practicum course is designed to meet the requirements set out by the Minnesota Board of Examiners for Nursing Home Administrators (BENHA) and National Association of Long Term Care Administrator Boards (NAB). This course provides practical learning experiences within the context of a nursing facility to complement the student’s academic training and work or volunteer experience in long-term care, general healthcare, and management. Please contact BENHA (http://mn.gov/boards/nursing-home/) to determine if this course meets the requirements for you to take the MN Nursing Home Administration licensing exam and NAB ( http://www.nabweb.org/ ) for national or state-by-state requirements.
Upon completion of this course, students are expected to be able to do the following:
- Demonstrate knowledge of all functions of the long-term care facility departments.
- Analyze results of regulatory requirements and inspections and write and implement a plan of correction, including in-service education.
- Explain the roles of the nursing facility administrator and the facility relationships in the context of operations, governance, community relations, resident councils, and other health care providers operating in the continuum of care.
- Complete research designed to improve operations and inform decision-making on a current issue.
- Prepare for the Minnesota Board of Examiners for Nursing Home Administrators exam.