Special Education - M.A. Degree with Additional Licensure
- Option 2: Special Education – M.A. Degree with Additional Licensure: This degree option is for already licensed classroom teachers in Minnesota who want to add licensure in one or more special education areas: emotional behavioral disorders (EBD), learning disabilities (LD), and/or autism spectrum disorder (ASD). This program consists of: special education core courses (24 credits), disability specific courses (EBD: 6 credits, and/or LD: 6 credits and/or ASD: 6 credits), practicum (3 credits for EBD/LD, 1 credit ASD if applicable) and master’s degree completion courses (6 credits). Depending on a student’s existing Minnesota license, an additional reading course (EDUC 539) may be required. When seeking licensure, you will also complete practicum experiences in elementary, middle school and high school settings in Minnesota and Minnesota state licensing exams. Please note: licensure recommendation is contingent upon successfully completing all Minnesota state licensure requirements. Total: 39 to 55 credits.
The courses for licensure that are beyond the base-credit requirement include:
For those without an Elementary Education full-time classroom teaching license, EDUC 539 may be required.
- EDUC539 Scientifically-Based Reading Instruction for Elementary Teachers (3 cr.)
EBD/LD Practicum 3 cr.
- EDSE681 Practicum 1 (1 cr.)
- EDSE682 Practicum 2 (1 cr.)
- EDSE683 Practicum 3 (1 cr.)
For students seeking ASD licensure: ASD Practicum 1 cr.
- EDSE684 Autism Spectrum Disorder Practicum (1 cr.)