This course provides strategies for developing the academic and professional writing skills relevant to health and human services. Topics include effective written communication in the workplace and appropriate communication styles based on audience and purpose. Academic writing is addressed including using APA formatting, library research tools, and methods for locating and selecting scholarly sources.
Student Learning Objectives
Upon completion of this course, students are expected to be able to:
- Identify a research topic and develop a thesis statement.
- Locate and evaluate relevant academic and scholarly sources on a research topic using library databases and technology resources.
- Prepare annotated bibliography and various written reports.
- Apply APA format to documentation.
- Organize and manage ideas and sources for research topics.
- Examine academic integrity and the ethical use of sources in written and oral communication.