Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota has been offering various online and blended classes for years. During that time, we have identified and implemented numerous ways to help you get the support you need while making the online learning experience seamless.
Laptop and Desktop Computer Requirements
Below is a detailed breakdown of requirements for a laptop or desktop computer:
Minimum Hardware Requirements
- Processor Speed: 1.6 GHz or Intel HD/UHD 500/AMD A6 with Radeon r5 graphics
- Memory: 4 GB
- Hard drive: 40 GB free OR Greater than 20% of total hard drive space free (Chromebook; 32 GB)
- Monitor: 1024x768 or greater resolution (Chromebook; 1366 x 768 or greater resolution)
- Sound: Microphone and speakers OR headphones or earbuds with built-in microphone.
- Webcam: Built in OR external
Recommended Software and Connectivity
- Operating System: Windows 8.1 or 10 or later / macOS Sierra 10.12 or newer
- Browser: Google Chrome – latest and Mozilla Firefox – latest (mac; Safari – latest)
- MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- Utilities: Windows Defender or other anti-virus software (Mac Antivirus software)
- Network: High speed internet connection with a connection speed of 1.5 MB/s or faster.
- WiFi: IEEE 802.11n or better
- SMU e-mail address
Current Technical Requirements
For current technical requirements, visit the Saint Mary's University of Minnesota Admission Policy page.