Develop your aptitude in descriptive, experimental, quantitative and qualitative research while learning to devise research questions and form plans for descriptive research. This preparatory course ensures you excel in the mandatory EL634: Action Research Project.
EL 630 Educational Research, focuses on recognizing, designing and conducting valid, reliable and ethical educational research for improving teaching and learning. Published studies are critiqued by identifying strengths and limitations of the methodology and evaluating potential impact on educational practice. Action research design, evaluation of literature and published studies, decision analysis, and methods for communicating and implementing results are practiced through several experiences.
Sample Course Topics
Throughout this course, you will focus on centralized topics as they relate to the overall objectives of this course. While these topics are subject to change based on course and instructor, sample topics may include but are not limited to the following.
- Education Research Principle and Practices
- Developing a Research Question
- Research Skills and Strategies
- APA and the Research Matrix
Your Learning Objectives
Upon completion of EL 630 you will be able to:
- Recognize and differentiate between appropriate use of and the processes involved in conducting descriptive and experimental research and conducting quantitative and qualitative research.
- Develop skills to generate research questions, review relevant literature and devise a plan for classroom–based descriptive research.
- Critique published educational research by identifying limitations, assumptions, and biases of studies.
- Determine appropriate sources of data and data analysis for action research.
- Design basic action research implementing accepted design and reporting methods.
- Design a plan for communicating and implementing action research findings within an educational organizational setting.
*Disclaimer: Course content and outcomes may vary and are subject to change without notice.