This course explores applied theories and skills of leadership and management within the health and human service sectors. Leadership styles and culturally responsive approaches to decision making are examined. Topics such as governance, vision and mission, strategic planning, business decision support, and promotion of sustainable, ethical organizational growth, and organization stewardship are explored.
Upon completion of this course, students are expected to be able to do the following:
- Illustrate roles, relationships, and legal responsibilities for administration, board members, departmental managers, clinicians, staff, external stakeholders, and suppliers.
- Articulate an overview of the scope and roles within strategic planning and external relations (market research, marketing, public and communication relations, communication, media, and government relations).
- Communicate organizational vision and manage internal communication and cross-functional teamwork.
- Analyze organizational board governance systems for effective implementation of shared vision and mission.
- Evaluate strategies for promoting and leading organizational change.
- Evaluate ethical standards and decision-making models for health and human service administration.