Dr. Michael Lee is a writer, researcher, and educator with more than fifteen years experience in community organizing, volunteer management, and fundraising in human services. His work includes several years in HIV/AIDS prevention; large-scale events coordination; nonprofit grant writing; and academic research. Lee holds a B.A. in English and M.S.W. in Organizational & Community Practice from Michigan State University and a Ph.D. in Social Work from the University of Minnesota. He teaches graduate courses in social work and health and human service administration for Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota while serving as a consultant to a number of local and national nonprofits. Lee is presently researching and writing his first book, a comprehensive biography of Randy Shilts, the bestselling author of And the Band Played On.
Awards & Honors
- University of Minnesota-Twin Cities, School of Social Work: Best Doctoral Research Article, 2013
- University of Minnesota-Twin Cities: Steven J. Schochet Award in GLBT Health, Policy, & Practice, 2013
- University of Minnesota-Twin Cities: Mary E. Pennock Endowment, 2012
- University of Minnesota-Twin Cities: Rosene Doctoral Fellowship, 2012
- University of Minnesota-Twin Cities: Hollister Endowed Fellowship, 2010
- Michigan State University, School of Social Work: Richard T. Gardner Memorial Scholarship, 2002
- Michigan State University, College of Arts & Letters: Graduation with Honor, 1999
- Michigan State University: Member of the Honors College, 1996 – 1999
- Michigan State University: Dean’s List, 1996 – 1999
- Adjunct Associate Professor, St. Mary’s University of Minnesota – School of Graduate & Professional Programs, 2020 - Present
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, St. Mary’s University of Minnesota – School of Graduate & Professional Programs, 2015 – 2020
- Adjunct Instructor, Health & Human Service Administration (M.A.), St. Mary’s University of Minnesota – School of Graduate & Professional Programs, 2012 – 2015
- Lecturer, School of Social Work (M.S.W.), University of Minnesota – Twin Cities, 2015 – 2018
- Teaching Specialist, School of Social Work (M.S.W.), University of Minnesota – Twin Cities, 2012 – 2015
- Adjunct Faculty, Department of Social Work (B.S.W. & M.S.W.), St. Cloud State University, St. Cloud, MN, 2011 – 2012
- Fisher, C., & Lee, M. (2014). Comparison of adolescents’ reports of sexual behavior on a survey and sexual health history calendar. Journal of Sex Research, 51(7), 777-787.
- Fisher, C.M., Lee, M.G., Chung, C-T., Center, B.A. (2014) Adolescent sexual risk-taking: Within- and between-person patterns over time. Journal of the Society for Social Work and Research, 5(1),79-105.
- Fisher, C., Lee, M., & Boudreau, M. (2014). Using mixed-method assessment to advance adolescent HIV prevention. Clinical Nursing Research. Advanced online publication. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24571964
- Lee, M.G. (2013) Between Stonewall and AIDS: Initial efforts to establish gay and lesbian social services. Journal of Sociology and Social Welfare, 40(3), 163–185.
- Lee, M.G. and Quam, J.K. (2013). Comparing supports for LGBT aging in rural versus urban areas. Journal of Gerontological Social Work, 56 (2), 112-126.