This course examines how marketing concepts and techniques can be utilized to address social problems and to influence individual and group behavior. Strategies and campaigns to promote international development projects designed for social and economic improvement are studied. Optimization of both traditional and online/social media for the intended purpose and audience is considered.
Upon completion of the course, students are expected to be able to do the following:
- Apply development communication theory.
- Analyze how social marketing practices can be utilized to promote social change and development.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of social marketing and communication strategies that have been implemented by a variety of international development organizations.
- Align communications strategies with political, cultural, and social expectations.
- Develop a social marketing strategy that addresses a specific development related issue.