This course focuses on the dynamics of power and influence within organizations. It explores the role of power in leadership and how to appropriately exercise it. An overview of the nature and types of power in leadership roles are examined, along with the relationship between power and influence. Communication, relationship building, and organizational politics is also addressed in relation to power and influence.
Upon completion of this course, students are expected to be able to do the following:
- Analyze the role that power plays in leadership within today’s society
- Describe the relationship among leadership, power, and influence.
- Evaluate the connections between power and leadership as they relate to ethical conduct.
- Define the nature and characteristics of power, as it exists in the workplace.
- Articulate how power influences leadership abilities, including communication, conflict management, and decision-making.