Holly Tapper is currently the Director of Online Operations for Saint Mary’s University, having served as the Director of the Master of Business Administration and Master of Arts in Human Resource Management programs there for the previous six years. She is also ranked as a Full Professor. She holds certifications as a Senior Professional in Human Resources (S.P.H.R.) and a Senior Certified Professional from the Society for Human Resource Management (S.H.R.M.-S.C.P) and a Social Media Strategist (S.M.S.) with the National Institute for Social Media. As a Peer Reviewer for the Higher Learning Commission, she evaluates compliance of other U.S. universities for the Department of Education.
Tapper came to Saint Mary’s University in 2013 from Globe University/Minnesota School of Business, where she served in a variety of roles including Dean of Graduate Studies and Chair of the Paralegal Program. Prior to that, she worked for a large telecom company as the Director of Marketing Communications, and then Associate Corporate Counsel, specializing in employment law, mergers & acquisitions, intellectual property, immigration, and aviation law. She also owns and manages a small real estate investment company.
She began adjunct teaching in the early 1990s, teaching several law and business classes for the University of Iowa, and traveling to Russia to teach management and negotiation classes for the University of Iowa. She also taught human resources classes for Kirkwood Community College. While teaching, she wrote a book on protecting small companies from sexual harassment suits for a private training firm. She teaches as a law and ethics adjunct professor for Concordia University, Excelsior College in their healthcare school, and William Mitchell Law School.
Tapper holds a J.D., with Distinction from the University of Iowa, an M.B.A., specializing in Management & Organizations from the University of Iowa, a B.A. in Communication Studies, with Highest Distinction from the University of Iowa, and a diploma in E-Commerce Law from the Thomas Jefferson School of Law. She is a member of the Iowa Bar Association and remains active in her attorney status with the State of Iowa.
Tapper lives in the Twin Cities with her husband of 28 years and five children. They are active in their church, children’s mission organizations, and their own kids’ sports and academic teams. Tapper especially enjoys coaching for Destination Imagination, an international problem-solving competition.
Awards & Honors
- Social Media Strategist (SMS) certification, National Institute for Social Media
- Society for Human Resource Management – Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP) certification
- Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) certification
- Earned Diploma in E-Commerce Law
- Licensed Attorney (active), Iowa State Bar Association, 2000
- Peer Review Corps, Higher Learning Commission regional accreditation agency, certified in Standard & Open Pathway, and AQIP Pathway (compliance audits of universities)
- (2015). Embedding Lasallian Values into Online Education. Huether Annual Conference.Chicago, Illinois.
- (Summer 2012). They’re Dropping Like Flies – How to Retain Students in Difficult Classes. The Paralegal Educator.
- (December 2009). A Legal Guide for Online Global Universities. Internet and E-Commerce Law News, Internet Business Law Services.
- (April 2002). Performance Appraisals and Documentation. Communications Engineering Company.Cedar Rapids, Iowa.
- (August 2002). The Americans with Disabilities Act. Lorman Education Services. Cedar Rapids, Iowa.
- (1996 - 1999). Various Iowa and Illinois business journal promotional publications.
- (1995 - 1996). A Survival Guide for Small Businesses Accused of Sexual Harassment.100+ page manual sold by Profiles Corp. to small businesses.