While pursuing the accelerated online Master of Business Administration program with an area of emphasis in healthcare administration, you will earn a total of 30 credits. The health administration degree requirements include the completion of three healthcare administration courses online, plus six core courses and three special topics courses.
- 6 core courses (18 credits)
- 3 special topics courses (3 credits)
- 3 healthcare administration courses (9 credits)
Total Credits: 30
Healthcare Administration Emphasis
HS662 – Financial Practices in the Health and Human Services Sector (3 credits)
This course explores the skills required for effective, ethical financial management within the health sector. Students analyze and interpret financial statements, create and evaluate operating and capital budgets, and incorporate general principles of financial management.
Upon completion of this course, students are expected to be able to do the following:
- Relate the historical context of healthcare financial management, theory, and concepts to the current state of the health sector.
- Create and evaluate an operating and capital budget for an organization.
- Examine the reimbursement requirements and regulatory compliance on financial performance, including exploration billing and collections practices.
- Analyze and evaluate the financial statements of organizations in the health or human service sectors.
- Use the tools of financial forecasting, planning auditing programs, reporting systems, and control needed to make managerial decisions within the health sector.
HS 715 Advanced Health Policy and Ethics (3 credits)
This course examines the ethical, legal, and culturally relevant dimensions of the U.S. health sector, including nonprofit, for-profit, and public health systems. Topics include ethical issues, public policy, stewardship, and compliance standards impacting healthcare finance and delivery; frameworks for ethical decision making; socio-economic impacts on public policy; and strategies for influencing the policy-making process within the health sector (Prerequisite(s): HS710, HS662, HS712, HS713).
HS 716 Health and Human Service Administration (3 credits)
This course explores applied theories and skills of leadership and management within the health and human service sectors. Leadership styles and culturally responsive approaches to decision making are examined. Topics such as governance, vision and mission, strategic planning, business decision support, and promotion of sustainable, ethical organizational growth, and organization stewardship are explored (Prerequisite(s): HS710, HS662, HS712, HS713).