In this course students analyze educational institutions and expectations to foster policy and systemic changes. Students evaluate change processes to engage colleagues and the school community in educational innovation. The role of an ethical educational leader in a school community is explored. Relevant trends from arenas such as the arts, science, or business enrich the possible approaches.
Upon completion of this course, students are expected to be able to do the following:
- Articulate a personal philosophy regarding the 21st century teacher’s role based on learning throughout and beyond the program.
- Identify systemic changes required to achieve transformational goals in education.
- Use an ethical approach in educational decision making.
- Apply change processes used in other fields or arenas to educational systems.
- Initiate a lifelong learning practice which taps into the capacity of current technologies and the power of the internet while honoring principles of systemic change, ethical leadership, and goals that align with one’s personal philosophy regarding the 21st century teacher’s role.