This course introduces selected theories and styles of leadership and the concept of followership, including understanding one’s own leadership style. Application of leadership theories in diverse environments are examined. This course also focuses on how diversity of all kinds influences organizational behavior, including internal/external client relationships within public and nonprofit organizations. The importance of cultural competency is explored along with the knowledge and skills needed to work with, manage and serve diverse groups of individuals.
Upon completion of the course, students are expected to be able to do the following:
- Analyze their own leadership style in order to adapt and develop effective leadership behaviors.
- Evaluate leadership theory and how it relates to followers.
- Articulate the unique challenges of a leader in diverse environments.
- Distinguish emotional intelligence competencies that contribute to leadership success.
- Evaluate the skills necessary for successful public and nonprofit administration leadership.
- Recognize one’s own biases, preferences and perceptions.