This course identifies developing areas in accounting and encourages students to research the issues, think critically, evaluate alternatives and communicate conclusions orally and in writing. The course addresses the role of the contemporary accountant, international accounting standards, the future of the Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB), standard setting and regulation, ethics and other developing issues.
Upon completion of this course, students are expected to be able to do the following:
- Examine and summarize the role that the accountant plays as a strategic business partner.
- Analyze the historical and current accounting standard setting process.
- Compare International Standards to US GAAP.
- Research and summarize current accounting emerging issues.
- Analyze the current Congressional business tax rulings.
- Communicate conclusions with clarity and coherence.