Special Education - M.A. Degree with Initial Teacher Licensure
- Option 3: Special Education – M.A. Degree with Initial Teacher Licensure: This option is for those without a Minnesota classroom teacher licensure who want to be licensed to teach special education in Minnesota. This program consists of: education foundation courses (18 credits), special education core courses (18 credits), specialization courses (15 credits), student teaching (8 credits), and master’s degree completion courses (6 credits). Please note: the education foundation courses are delivered in Minneapolis, MN and other select locations in Minnesota and precede online mobile learning. To obtain licensure: you will complete practicum experiences in elementary, middle school and high school settings in Minnesota and Minnesota state licensing exams. Licensure recommendation is contingent upon successfully completing all Minnesota state licensure requirements. Total: 65 credits. If you are ready to begin as an initial license seeker (those new to teaching) and start your foundations, contact Initial Licensure Enrollment Counselor Michelle Dougherty (email@example.com or 612-728-5122) to discuss the program further.
The additional course requirements for initial licensure include the following education foundation courses, a specialization area and student teaching courses:
Education Foundation Courses 18 cr. (Minneapolis Campus)
- EDUC515 Foundations of Education (2 cr.)
- EDUC525 Curriculum and Instruction: Grades 5-12 (4 cr.)
- EDUC511 Educational Measurement and Assessment: 5-12 (2 cr.)
- EDUC517 Learning, Development, and Exceptionality (3 cr.)
- EDUC539 Scientifically-Based Reading Instruction for Elementary Teachers (3 cr.)
- EDUC534 Technology in the Classroom: 5-12 (2 cr.)
- DUC565 Human Relations, Cultural Diversity, and American Indian Culture (2 cr.)
Specialization: Emotional/Behavioral Disorders 15 cr.
- EDSE641 Characteristics: Emotional/Behavioral Disorders (3 cr.)
- EDSE642 Strategies and Assessment: Emotional/Behavioral Disorders (3 cr.)
- EDSE646 Assessment and Application: Emotional/Behavioral Disorders (3 cr.)
- EDSE647 Introduction to Behavioral Theories: Emotional/Behavioral Disorders (3 cr.)
- EDSE648 Applied Behavioral Interventions: Emotional/Behavioral Disorders (3 cr.)
Specialization: Learning Disabilities 15 cr.
- EDSE651 Characteristics: Learning Disabilities (3 cr.)
- EDSE652 Strategies and Assessment: Learning Disabilities (3 cr.)
- EDSE656 Assessment and Application: Learning Disabilities (3 cr.)
- EDSE657 Advanced Instruction and Methods: Learning Disabilities (3 cr.)
- EDSE658 Adolescence to Post-Secondary: Learning Disabilities (3 cr.)
Specialization: Autism Spectrum Disorders 15 cr.
- EDSE661 Characteristics: Autism Spectrum Disorder (3 cr.)
- EDSE662 Strategies and Assessment: Autism Spectrum Disorder (3 cr.)
- EDSE663 Assessment and Application: Autism Spectrum Disorder (3 cr.)
- EDSE667 Introduction to Behavioral Theories: Autism Spectrum Disorder (3 cr.)
- EDSE668 Applied Behavioral Interventions: Autism Spectrum Disorder (3 cr.)
EBD/LD/ASD Student Teaching Courses 8 cr.
- EDSE688 Clinical Field Experience (0 cr.)
- EDSE689 Field Experience for Practicing Educators (6 cr.)
- EDSE690 Professional Capstone/Portfolio (2 cr.)