This course introduces nurses to concepts in financial management. Students are exposed to different types of budgets, financial forecasting, determination of assets, valuation of nursing services, and preparation of nursing unit budgets across different types of nursing units.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon course completion, students are expected to be able to:
- Apply budgeting skills and technological tools to support financial and operational unit management.
- Discuss staffing resources including recruitment and retention of staff and their impact on the financial status of a patient care area.
- Analyze cost, revenue, and expense data related to financial operations for the healthcare unit/division and organization.
- Evaluate methods such as forecasting used for the development of operating budgets for nursing services.
- Discuss key issues impacting decision making in health care resource management.
- Examine the relationships between health care financing, costs, and quality of care.