This summative course integrates the skills and knowledge developed in previous coursework and applies them to a practicum project. Students select an area of interest and location that will accommodate at least 40 hours of practicum. After completing an approved proposal and demonstrating compliance with the stipulations for off-site practicum experiences, a preceptor and/or advisor will be assigned. Students are required to journal their experience and submit a paper describing the program outcome objectives in relation to their experiences in completing their project.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this course, students are expected to be able to:
- Describe the role, learning objectives, and responsibilities of the learner prior to participating in the practicum experience.
- Comply with all university, institutional, and program policies, privacy mandate, including attendance, and record keeping.
- Demonstrate the ability to analyze effectively and think critically throughout the practicum experience.
- Accept responsibility for relationships with patients and all other members of the health care team that demonstrates awareness of multicultural and social differences.
- Display initiative, self-discipline, and intellectual curiosity.
- Accept instruction and constructive criticism and incorporate it into future practice.
- Demonstrate ethical behavior in all relationships.
- Display a willingness to perform any assigned duties within the scope of the practicum agreement.
- Describe the elements that combine to define safe and competent care in their practicum institution.