Online Master of Arts in Special Education
"Every individual is an exception to the rule." – Carl Jung
You can change the lives of every student you teach with an online Master of Arts in Special Education from Saint Mary's University of Minnesota.
No longer just for special education teachers, mastery of special education skills and theories will provide you the tools to help all students reach their full potential, especially as more young learners with special needs are placed in mainstream K-12 classrooms.
An online Master of Arts in Special Education degree from Saint Mary's University will help you:
- Create a more inclusive classroom environment for learners of all ability levels
- Obtain licensure preparation for a Learning Disabilities or Emotional/Behavioral Disorders Minnesota teaching license
- Become an authority on special education strategies and research at your school
- Get an accredited master’s degree from a top-rated university at an affordable price
- Understand the unique needs of learners with learning disabilities, autism and other exceptionalities
- Enrich your teaching career with new skills that give you greater career flexibility
- Learn with the latest mobile technology that is revolutionizing the special education profession
“Know your students individually and be able to understand them.” – St. John Baptist de la Salle, Patron Saint of Teachers
A Touch of Class
Saint Mary's powerful iPad app puts coursework right at your fingertips
Online classes at Saint Mary's University are easy to navigate, either through an interactive website or a dynamic iPad app, giving busy working teachers the opportunity to study anywhere at any time. Every Saint Mary's online Master of Arts in Special Education student receives an iPad at no additional cost. When you graduate, the accredited master's degree you receive is identical to the degree offered on campus.
The iPad plays an important role in the special education community. It is the same tool that is giving students with special learning needs a new voice and new platform for expression, as the CBS news program 60 Minutes recently discovered. By learning with this same tool, Saint Mary’s University online students will be ready to embrace new technologies and create a more inclusive learning environment for all learners.
License to Thrive
When you complete the online Master of Arts in Special Education program at Saint Mary’s University, you will be prepared to work with learners who receive special education services for specific learning disabilities, autism spectrum disorder, and/or emotional or behavioral disorders. Students who hold a valid Minnesota general education license while in the program may choose to complete additional requirements to be eligible to apply for Minnesota licensure for Learning Disabilities (LD), Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), and/or Emotional or Behavioral Disorders (EBD).
Think Fast – Because Education is Changing Even Faster
A career in education used to mean stability. Today, the keyword is flexibility. Shrinking budgets mean fewer dedicated special-needs educators, and that means every classroom teacher is quickly becoming a special education teacher. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, job prospects for teachers with special education credentials are expected to be as much as 50 percent stronger than average.* Visit the Career Outlook page for the details.
Enrich your teaching career right away by calling 877-308-9954 to speak with an enrollment counselor about the Saint Mary's University Master of Arts in Special Education. Or, you can request more information.
* Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2012-13 Edition, Special Education Teachers, http://www.bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/special-education-teachers.htm (accessed April 30, 2013).