Online Master’s Degree in Special Education
"Every individual is an exception to the rule." – Carl Jung
Serve the Unique Needs of Your Students with a Special Education Master’s Degree
Learn to excel as a teacher of students with exceptionalities with an online Master of Arts in Special Education. Our program is designed to help you fully understand the unique needs of learners with a wide range of disabilities. It’s a flexible way to prepare for a rewarding career that gives back to you and the students you surround yourself with.
With this degree, you’ll develop an inclusive teaching approach that goes further to help students achieve their full potential. Explore ways to remove barriers for students with special needs and learn how to develop an Individualized Education Program to support them.
This online master’s degree in special education prepares you to work with learners who receive special education services for specific learning disabilities, children on the autism spectrum disorder, and/or those with emotional or behavioral disorders. Students who live and work in Minnesota may choose to complete additional requirements to be eligible to apply for a Minnesota special education licensure* in the areas of: specific learning disability (LD), emotional or behavioral disorders (EDB) and/or autism spectrum disorder (ASD). You have three options to choose from that will give you authority on special education strategies and research at your institution.
- Option 1: Special Education-M.A. Degree without Licensure: This degree option is intended for individuals seeking a full understanding of special education issues and approaches, but does not include the additional requirements to obtain a Minnesota license in special education. This program consists of: special education core courses (24 credits), disability specific courses (EBD: 6 credits, and/or LD: 6 credits and/or ASD: 6 credits), and master’s degree completion courses (6 credits). Total: 36 to 48 credits.
- Option 2: Special Education – M.A. Degree with Additional Licensure: This degree option is for already licensed classroom teachers in Minnesota who want to add licensure in one or more special education areas: emotional behavioral disorders (EBD), learning disabilities (LD), and/or autism spectrum disorder (ASD). This program consists of: special education core courses (24 credits), disability specific courses (EBD: 6 credits, and/or LD: 6 credits and/or ASD: 6 credits), practicum (3 credits for EBD/LD, 1 credit ASD if applicable) and master’s degree completion courses (6 credits). When seeking licensure, you will also complete practicum experiences in elementary, middle school and high school settings in Minnesota and Minnesota state licensing exams. Please note: licensure recommendation is contingent upon successfully completing all Minnesota state licensure requirements. Total: 39 to 52 credits.
- Option 3: Special Education – M.A. Degree with Initial Teacher Licensure: This option is for those without a Minnesota classroom teacher licensure who want to be licensed to teach special education in Minnesota. This program consists of: education foundation courses (18 credits), special education core courses (24 credits), disability specific courses (EBD: 6 credits, and/or LD: 6 credits and/or ASD: 6 credits), student teaching (6 credits), ASD practicum if applicable (1 credit) and master’s degree completion courses (6 credits). Please note: the education foundation courses are delivered in Minneapolis, MN and other select locations in Minnesota and precede online mobile learning. To obtain licensure: you will complete practicum experiences in elementary, middle school and high school settings in Minnesota and Minnesota state licensing exams. Please note: licensure recommendation is contingent upon successfully completing all Minnesota state licensure requirements. Total: 60 to 73 credits.
Note: If you are interested in seeking licensure in a state outside of Minnesota, you would need to contact the licensing agency to which you are interested in obtaining licensure and identify with them the field experience (student teaching and/or practicum) and other expectations needed to fulfill their state licensing requirements.
Build the Skills to Reach Every Student
Our program shows you how to incorporate the concepts and tools of special education in a variety of educational settings. You will learn how to:
- Create an inclusive environment in mainstream classrooms to allow every student to achieve their full potential
- Become an authority on special education strategies and research at your school
- Understand the unique needs of learners with: specific learning disabilities, autism spectrum disorder, emotional/behavioral disorder, and other exceptionalities
- Learn the latest mobile technology and techniques that are giving students who receive special education a new voice
- Develop intercultural competence to relate to students of all backgrounds
Become a More Effective Educator
The Individuals with Disabilities Act (IDEA) afforded students with disabilities the right to a Free and Appropriate Education in the Least Restrictive Environment. This mandated that students with disabilities are educated with students without disabilities to the greatest extent possible. Training in special education provides you with the foundational knowledge, skills and abilities to effectively teach diverse learners who are educated in a variety of educational settings.
The tools and techniques you learn will benefit both students with and without exceptionalities, improving classroom learning for all. With an online master’s degree in special education, you can also enhance your own career prospects and earning potential.
Learning at Your Fingertips
A Saint Mary’s education puts knowledge and opportunity in your hands. Our mobile learning programs give you the flexibility that fits your professional and personal schedule as you build skills and knowledge to develop, explore, and advance your career. It’s the freedom you need to grow with a vibrant, supportive community that understands the needs of your education, your career, and your day-to-day life.
Every student in our online degree programs receives an iPad® loaded with a mobile learning platform, so you have Saint Mary’s with you at all times. Our innovative program enables you to:
- Access your courses and materials in a click
- Engage with the curriculum through interactive exercises
- Reinforce learning points using real-world scenarios
- Connect with classmates and faculty anywhere*
- Develop mobile technology skills employers require
- Study with convenience, on the go*
At Saint Mary’s, every student enjoys the same high-tech, high-quality learning experience—wherever they are.
Request a free brochure or call 877-308-9954 to speak with an enrollment counselor today about pursuing an online Master of Arts in Special Education from Saint Mary’s.
iPad is a registered trademark of Apple Inc.
*iPad is wifi-enabled only.