While pursuing Saint Mary’s accelerated online Master of Business Administration program with a concentration in marketing and social media, you will earn a total of 30 credits. In addition to three online marketing classes, you will also complete six core MBA courses and three special topics courses.
- 6 core courses (18 credits)
- 3 special topics courses (3 credits)
- 3 area of emphasis courses (9 credits)
Total Credits: 30
Marketing and Social Media Emphasis
MBA 634 Digital Storytelling (3 credits)
This course explores storytelling techniques and media development processes. Students review industry cases involving a variety of story genres that use platforms such as video games, mobile apps, interactive books, and social media.
- Create interactive narratives across various devices, platforms and media.
- Plan processes for developing stories for entertainment and informative purposes.
- Utilize and evaluate digital storytelling to teach, train, and inform.
MBA 653 Case Studies in Brand Strategy (3 credits)
This course emphasizes a brand’s ability to simplify customer decision-making, set expectations, and reduce risk. Students gain a deeper understanding of the importance of maintaining, strengthening, and evolving a brand’s value over time.
- Describe the main branding challenges and opportunities.
- Explain the criteria and tactics for choosing a brand strategy, and the legal issues surrounding this decision.
- Apply concepts related to planning, implementing and evaluating brand strategy.
- Assemble a basic brand hierarchy.
MBA 636 Ethics in Social Marketing (3 credits)
In this course, students work through a model of ethical and policy decision-making for social marketing campaigns and learn how emerging technologies raise ethical considerations. The concept of privacy and security with regard to social media is also explored. Topics involving photojournalism, morality, truth in art, and social responsibility are discussed.
In addition to earning course credit, students will learn the six content domains covered in the NISM Social Media Strategist (SMS) certification exam*: Strategic Planning, Compliance & Governance, Project Management, Social Media Marketing, Community Management and Research & Analysis.
- Use philosophical principles applicable to marketing and communications decisions.
- Evaluate the strategic communication campaign around current client advocacy.
- Understand the contextual nature of privacy, including the right to know and the need to know.
- Articulate and apply the stakeholder model of media economics.
*Students will see a $250 course fee which covers the course textbook and electronic access to all other course materials, guided instruction by a NISM-certified course instructor, and full preparation for the Social Media Strategist Certification exam. Those seeking the Social Media Strategist Certification will also receive a $49 credit toward the exam voucher and a 20% discount on hard copies of all materials, if they wish to purchase those.
Make an Impact in Marketing and Social Media
For more information about the accelerated online MBA program and taking online marketing classes, call 877-308-9954 to speak with an enrollment counselor or request information today!
1Students seeking NISM Social Media Strategist Certification will receive a $49 credit toward the exam voucher and a 20% discount on hard copies of all materials they choose to purchase.